- Gardening – Growing herbs, vegetables and fruits in the garden is not only fun, but also sustainable. You can harvest crops from your own garden.
- Animal Farming – You can raise pigs, cows and chickens for your source of meat. Poultry and livestock farming can also be a profitable business.
- Renewable Energy – Solar power is very popular nowadays. You can invest in solar, wind or hydro-powered equipment for a clean and renewable source of energy for your home.
- Food Preservation – There are different methods of preserving food like freezing, canning and dehydration. These methods can increase food shelf-life and reduce food waste.
- Sewing Your Own Clothes – We already know about sustainable fabric and the importance of knowing the materials used in our clothing. Aside from buying eco-friendly clothes, you can also make your own clothes at home. This will minimize the harmful effects of industrial production.
How to become more self-sufficient and adopt a sustainable living?
Making a difference to better our planet doesn’t mean that you need to fully transform yourself into a different lifestyle. If you don’t feel happy with transitioning, simply committing to small changes still matter.
Consistency is the key to achieving a better planet. You need to keep yourself motivated and committed to make a positive impact on the environment. And if you’re planning your journey to sustainability, start with things that are doable and easy.
Getting Started with Self-Sufficient Living
Is it possible to live a more simple, self-sufficient life?
Self-sufficient living is an eco-friendly lifestyle where you become more independent and able to provide for your own. It could be about growing your own food, taking care of animals or making your own stuff and clothing. By making things yourself, you can save money and reduce the need for packaging or distribution.
A self-sufficient lifestyle can be difficult. It requires a lot of time and determination especially if you are starting out with your journey. You can focus on one thing and do it consistently. Remember, you don’t need to make it 100% self-sufficient unless you really want to. Starting with small things at home will eventually go a long run to better our planet.
What does it mean to be self-sufficient?
Being self-sufficient is one form of being independent. It is the ability to provide for essential things on your own or have the resources for your household without reliance from the outside. This discipline takes many forms. Being self-sufficient requires practices and systems so you can take care of your needs such as growing your own food, using solar or wind power for energy and making your clothes and tools.
Is it possible to be fully self-sufficient?
In reality, it is impossible to be totally self-sufficient. We need help from each other to survive in this world even for resources or essential needs. But, the desire to adopt sustainability and embrace self sufficiency can make a better change. Small things count and you can start a more self-sufficient lifestyle at home.
Self-Sufficient Lifestyle Tips
There are so many ways to contribute to this practice. Becoming more self-sufficient shouldn’t be overwhelming and exhausting. Self-sufficiency is only the starting point for a simple and mindful lifestyle.
From our previous blog, we discussed ethical shopping and the ways to become a conscious consumer. Now, we are giving some tips on how to start a self sufficient living:
Sustainable Home Design – You should consider the topography, temperature and other environmental factors when designing your home. It is important that your house design fits into location and environment.